Cachoeira

cachoeira.jpg

Elevated to the status of city in 1837 and listed by IPHAN (Instituto do Patrimônio Histórico e Artístico Nacional) in 1971, Cachoeira is called " National Monument City" and, after Salvador, is the city that brings together the most important architectural collection in Baroque Style.

The rich detail of its buildings (the building of the Santa Casa-1734, the Chapel of Santa Bárbara, the Imperial Fountain-1827, the Church of the Ordem Terceira do Carmo-1724, the Matriz Nossa Senhora do Rosário and the building of the Irmandade da Boa Morte, remaining from a group of slaves, consisting only of black women) attest to the quality of its collection.

In the nineteenth century, Cachoeira had projected itself in national politics. From this town, the first cries echoed against oppression by the Portuguese, aimed at creating an organized movement for the independence of Brazil. It was in this town in 1822, that D. Pedro was proclaimed "Prince Regent of Brazil."

Besides the historical significance, the city also plays host to one of the main manifestations of religious syncretism of the country: The Party of The group called “Irmandadade da Boa Morte”. In the city we can find the "Samba de Roda" pace African-Brazilian which was born in the Recôncavo Baiano around 1860.